Thursday, November 19, 2009

Post #1 Introduction

Multiple system atrophy (MSA) is a degenerative, neurological disorder, which is associated with the degeneration of nerve cells in specific areas of the brain. This cell degeneration causes problems with movement, balance and autonomic functions of the body. For a more extensive definition of MSA, please consider going to Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_system_atrophy, or to NINDS (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke at http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/msa/msa.htm. Other sources of information about MSA are listed in this blog's index.

There is no cure for MSA, and currently, there are no proven treatments to delay the progress of neurodegeneration in the brain. A possible "hope" for at least slowing the degeneration is stem cell therapy, which I will discuss in a separate post.

My primary purpose in writing here is to share information I have read and gathered about MSA with you. Of course, I'm also hoping this blog will be a conduit for exchanging MSA-related stories and information that might be beneficial to anyone affected by this or a related illness.

To leave a remark or to view what others have said, just click on the word "comment" at the end of each post. Alternately, if you wish to contact me directly with either information or questions, please feel free to do so. My e-mail, also listed above as an e-mail link, is fmsalveson@gmail.com.

My next post will be a brief description of my MSA history, and several related links will also follow. My husband and I look forward to an ongoing exchange of ideas and information with each of you who chooses to establish a relationship with us, either through this blog or personally through e-mails.

No comments:

Post a Comment